The Department of Neurosurgery is one of the largest neurosurgical units in NSW. It treats over 3,000 patients per year, has dedicated neurosurgical wards in both Public and Private Hospitals, and has an operative caseload of more than 1,500 cases per year at St Vincent’s Private Hospital.
The Department provides services for all aspects of Neurosurgical problems, including:
- Spinal Disorders for acute disc prolapse, sciatica and brachalgia, degenerative disorders of spinal canal stenosis; both benign and malignant spinal tumours. This involves open, minimally invasive and percutaneous procedures and instrumentation and artificial disc for complex spinal procedures.
- Cerebral tumours both benign and malignant tumours both primary glioma and metastases. Stereotactic localisation and navigation is an essential part of this surgery, biopsy and excision of tumours.
- Skull base tumours in association with the Head and Neck and Otolaryngology Departments. Endoscopic approaches to pituitary tumours and anterior skull base tumour are undertaken, and removal of acoustic tumours.
- Neurovascular both open procedures and neurointerventional, for aneurysm, AVMs and stroke.
- Functional Stereotaxy for movement disorders, deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease and dystonia.
- Hydrocephalus and CSF circulation disorders syringomyelia.
All the members of the Neurosurgery Department are Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and members of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. The Department has two positions for neurosurgical training towards FRACS.
The Neurosurgical Department is involved in the Research Strategic Plan with the aim of becoming a centre of excellence for neurosciences research.
Emergency and urgent consultations can be made by contacting the offices listed below.
|Jonker||Dr Benjamin Jonker|
|Jonker||Dr Benjamin Jonker||T 1300 174 497||F 02 8580 4867|
|Fairhall||Dr Jacob Fairhall|
|Fairhall||Dr Jacob Fairhall||T 02 9650 4132||F 02 9650 4820|
|Sheehy||Dr John Sheehy|
|Sheehy||Dr John Sheehy||T 02 8382 6757||F 02 8382 6758|
|Pell||Dr Malcolm Pell|
|Pell||Dr Malcolm Pell||T 02 8382 6766||F 02 8382 6770|
|Winder||Dr Mark J Winder|
|Winder||Dr Mark J Winder||T 02 8382 6724||F 02 8382 6736|
|Bentivoglio||Dr Peter Bentivoglio|
|Bentivoglio||Dr Peter Bentivoglio||T 02 8382 6751||F 02 8382 6761|
|Parkinson||Dr Richard Parkinson|
|Parkinson||Dr Richard Parkinson||T 02 8382 6470||F 02 8382 6469|
|Steel||Dr Timothy Steel|
|Steel||Dr Timothy Steel||T 02 8382 6754||F 02 8382 6764|