In addition to the spectrum of general surgical procedures, this Department offers a specialised service in all aspects of surgery of the colon, rectum and anus.
This services includes:
- Day-only endoscopy and colonoscopy service
- Complete investigative services for rectal bleeding immediately available, together with the management of bowel polyps, including programs for ongoing surveillance
- Laparoscopic colectomy for benign and malignant condition when indicated
- Special expertise in sphincter-saving procedures for cancer of the rectum including colo-anal anastomoses and abdomino-perineal pull-through procedures
- Total management of colon and rectal malignancy (only one in 20 patients now requires a permanent colostomy)
- Specialised treatment of diverticular disease and its complications, including bladder and vaginal fistulas, and also of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, where total proctocolectomy and ileo-anal pouch procedures have dramatically improved the patient’s quality of life
- Specialised service for complicated fistula in ano, cure of rectal prolapse, management of ano-rectal incontinence and management of rectal trauma
- A state-of-the-art Anal Physiology Laboratory including endorectal ultrasound to fully assess all aspects of faecal incontinence and sphincter impairments.
The unit treats all aspects of anal disease, including haemorrhoids, fissure, hydradenitis, anal cancer and pilonidal sinus. Many of the minor anal problems are treated on a day-only basis utilising the Day Surgery Unit at St Vincent’s Clinic.